Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus: I Can't See the Film, but I Can Read the Screenplay

Coriolanus. Dir. Ralph Fiennes. Perf. Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Brian Cox, Jessica Chastain, and Vanessa Redgrave. Hermetof Pictures, 20 January 2012. Film.

Logan, John. Coriolanus: The Shooting Script. Forward by Ralph Fiennes. New York: Newmarket Press, 2011.

Update: The DVD is now available! See below.

Like most of the rest of the world, I patiently await the news that Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus is opening in a theatre near me.

Fortunately, the good people of Newmarket Press heard the drumming of my fingers all the way from New York City and sent me a copy of the screenplay.

It's astounding, and it's astonishingly helpful. It has a forward by and a concluding Question and Answer section with Ralph Fiennes and an introduction by John Logan (the author of the screenplay). Each of those three segments is thoughtful.

And the screenplay itself has turned my drumming fingers from patient to impatient. I can't wait to see this film.

In the meantime, I'll have to make due with the trailer:


Links: The Film at IMDB.

Click below to purchase the screenplay or the DVD from amazon.com
(and to support Bardfilm as you do so).

 

1 comment:

Trevor said...

I got to see this at a film festival in Maui over my Christmas vacation. Wonderful acting/directing by Fiennes. I have some issues with the lack of modern political commentary, but overall, I was pleased.

I just received an e-mail from Amazon this week saying that the blu-ray will be sent to my home sometime between June 4th and June 8th. I recommend pre-ordering it.

Bardfilm is normally written as one word, though it can also be found under a search for "Bard Film Blog." Bardfilm is a Shakespeare blog (admittedly, one of many Shakespeare blogs), and it is dedicated to commentary on films (Shakespeare movies, The Shakespeare Movie, Shakespeare on television, Shakespeare at the cinema), plays, and other matter related to Shakespeare (allusions to Shakespeare in pop culture, quotes from Shakespeare in popular culture, quotations that come from Shakespeare, et cetera).

Unless otherwise indicated, quotations from Shakespeare's works are from the following edition:
Shakespeare, William. The Riverside Shakespeare. 2nd ed. Gen. ed. G. Blakemore Evans. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1997.
All material original to this blog is copyrighted: Copyright 2008-2039 (and into perpetuity thereafter) by Keith Jones.

The very instant that I saw you did / My heart fly to your service; there resides, / To make me slave to it; and, for your sake, / Am I this patient [b]log-man.

—The Tempest